Met-L-Flo Trivia Section
Everyone needs a little fun in your workday! Here’s our trivia section to add some fun and competition to your day. We look forward to your responses.
America the Beautiful
1. What day did most of the signatures take place on the Declaration of Indepence?
A. August 2, 1776
B. July 4, 1776
C. September 8, 1776
D. July 19, 1776
2. What US President was born on 4th of July
A. Ronald Reagan
B. Calvin Coolidge
C. Dwight D. Eisenhower
D. John Adams
3. How many other countries celebrate the 4th of July? (Bonus points if you can name them)
4. What year did congress vote the 4th of July a paid federal holiday in the US?
5. How many US Presidents have died on the 4th of July? (Bonus points if you can name them)
Please send your guesses/requests for the correct matches to:
Answers from last trivia:
Ready for Spring?
1. Who coined the phrase, “April showers bring May Flowers”?
2. What is the meaning behind “April showers brings May flowers”?
3. How did spring cleaning come about?
Coal that was used to heat the home during the winter got every where, and needed to be cleaned
4. When is the cut-off time for planting summer flowers and food, for the midwest?
End of May
If you’ve got an idea for a great trivia teaser, please submit it to the email above for possible inclusion in a future addition.
Met-L-Flo is stepping up our presence in social media. It’s a great way to keep up to date on new technologies and developments within our industry and others. We look forward to interacting with our followers, sharing company events and information, interesting industry news, and plenty of photos. We hope you’ll add us to your social media network.
You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and our WordPress blog.
Tips from Tippy the turtle:
It’s time for Fourth of July celebrations – fireworks, a backyard barbecue, maybe a trip to the beach. Whatever you have planned, Met-L-Flo and the American Red Cross want you to enjoy your holiday. Here are some steps they can follow to assure the safety of your family and friends.
FIREWORKS SAFETY The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals. Stay at least 500 feet away from the show. Many states outlaw most fireworks. If someone is setting fireworks off at home, they should follow these safety steps:
• Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
• Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
• Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
• Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
• Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
• Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
• Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using fireworks.
Wondering if fireworks are legal in your state? Follow this link to find out… http://blog.usa.gov/post/54109217133/are-fireworks-legal-in-your-state
GRILLING SAFETY Every year people in this country are injured while using backyard charcoal or gas grills. Follow these steps to safely cook up treats for the backyard barbecue:
• Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
• Never grill indoors – not in your house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
• Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
• Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
• Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
• Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using grills.
BEACH SAFETY If someone’s visit to the shore includes swimming in the ocean, they should learn how to swim in the surf and only swim at a lifeguarded beach, within the designated swimming area. Obey all instructions and orders from lifeguards. Other safety tips include:
• Keep alert for local weather conditions. Check to see if any warning signs or flags are posted.
• Swim sober and always swim with a buddy.
• Have young children and inexperienced swimmers wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
• Protect the neck – don’t dive headfirst. Walk carefully into open waters.
• Keep a close eye and constant attention on children and adults while at the beach. Wave action can cause someone to lose their footing, even in shallow water.
• Watch out for aquatic life. Water plants and animals may be dangerous. Avoid patches of plants and leave animals alone.
Additional water safety tips are available at http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/water-safety
SUN PROTECTION Limit exposure to direct sunlight between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., and wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 15. Reapply sunscreen often. Remember to drink plenty of water regularly, even if not thirsty. Avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine in them. Protect the eyes by wearing sunglasses that will absorb 100 percent of UV sunlight. Protect the feet – the sand can burn them and glass and other sharp objects can cut them.
During hot weather, watch for signs of heat stroke—hot, red skin; changes in consciousness; rapid, weak pulse; rapid, shallow breathing. If it’s suspected someone is suffering from heat stroke:
• Call 9-1-1 and move the person to a cooler place.
• Quickly cool the body by applying cool, wet cloths or towels to the skin (or misting it with water) and fanning the person.
• Watch for signs of breathing problems and make sure the airway is clear. Keep the person lying down.
DOWNLOAD FIRST AID APP Another thing you can do is download the free Red Cross first aid app which puts expert advice for everyday emergencies at your fingertips. The app is available for direct download from the Apple or Google Play for Android app stores.
Met-L-Flo’s Show Updates:
Additive Manufactures Users Group (AMUG) is an industry-wide users group that provides its members with a forum for learning and establishing professional connections. MET-L-FLO has been participating in AMUG shows for close to 20 years
and would like to extend the invitation to you. Anyone who is involved in the additive manufacturing industry is always a welcome addition. Next year’s AMUG is being held in Jacksonville, Florida April 19 through April 22, 2015.
An Exhibitor list that included Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman along with 600 international companies and an attendance of over 6,000 helped make the 2014 AUVSI show in Orlando, FL a great success for Met-L-Flo…..so much so, that we’ve already reserved our spot for the 2015 show in Atlanta, GA! Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) is a non-profit organization focused on unmanned systems and robotics. The advancement in prototype materials has opened the door for use of AM materials on flight hardware. It’s no surprise that “drone” was the buzzword of the show this year as everyone was talking about what’s out there now and what will be available shortly. Hopefully we’ll see you there in 2015.
The Rapid conference took place in “The Motor City” this year and Met-L-Flo wouldn’t miss it! Met-L-Flo has been involved with the Rapid Conference for many years and it seems to get better every year. The attendance is great and the many different sessions are extremely informative. There are always new machines being unveiled and talked about at this conference, so if that’s what you seek…….get over to the Rapid Conference next year in Long Beach, Ca!
Ramping up for the Rapid:
One of the most anticipated events at the Rapid conference is always the “puzzle”. For several years the conference has sponsored a 3D printing contest for students to design a part that can be broken into several pieces and then assembled by the attendees of the show.
This year’s contest winners were Western Illinois University students, Scottie Waldhaus and Darren Walker. After their design was chosen it was validated by Met-L-Flo and the pieces were assigned to 9 different show exhibitors to produce in various processes encouraging attendees to engage exhibitors in order to discover who has the pieces at their booths. This year’s collaborating exhibitors were American Precision Prototyping, C-Ideas, Envision TEC, Harvest Technologies, Materialize, Rapid Prototype + Manufacturing, Roush Manufacturing, Stratasys and Met-L-Flo. Pieces were created in the SLA, SLS, PolyJet, and Photopolymer processes. Here at Met-L-Flo we all got in on the fun…
Up Coming Events:
MET-L-FLO has always worked toward facilitating education by presenting industry intelligence at conferences, schools, client visits, and on the web. Now we are looking to make that education more personal and closer to home, so close that we are holding a open house lunch and learn right here at our own facility. Our first open house will be the 1st of August here in Sugar Grove!
This open house will have educational presentations and tours. The presentations will be tailored to differing levels of expertise as defined by the audience. We will be asking registrants for what information they would like to hear. Watch for a Save the Date annoucement later this week.
We will be including a collection of items to help communicate and illustrate the talking points. We will also be doing a drawing for door prizes and gift cards. Hopefully you will be able to join us for this exciting event. If you have special requests, please let us know and we will try to address them as well.
Summer is always an excellent time to get together with family and friends. Here at Met-L-Flo we look forward to those times as well. We hope that you will be able to make precious memories this summer that you can carry with you for a life time.
May all of your travels and outings be safe and enjoyable. We look forward to sharing stories so all the memories may keep you warm even in those unpleasant cold months. Best wishes for a safe and memorable summer!
We’d love to know what other subject matter would be beneficial for you in future editions. Please send your ideas and suggestions to email@example.com
MET-L-FLO INC. 720 Heartland Drive Unit S Sugar Grove, IL 60554
Telephone 1-800-MET-L-FLO 630-409-9860 Fax 630-409-9869
SAVE THE DATE
We are having an open house, lunch & learn event on August 1st, between 11 am – 2 pm at our facility in Sugar Grove, IL 60554.
We plan to offer tours and presentations on the variety of services and technologies Met-L-Flo offers, and we’d appreciate your input.